Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Wings of Burden, Flight of Love

"You love someone, you open yourself up to suffering,that's the sad truth.
Maybe they'll break your heart, maybe you'll break their heart and never be able to look at yourself in the same way.
Those are the risks. That's the burden.

Like wings, they have weight, we feel that weight on our backs, but they are a burden that lifts us. Burdens which allow us to fly..."

-Dr. Temperance Brenan on Bones


I was watching an episode of Bones today and the above statement was made in a monologue. It was so profound and meaningful to me that I actually had to come and write about it. Love is a burden. I'm sure there are people who would disagree with me, but most of them have probably never been in love. All relationships take work and have turmoil, but those that involve true love are destined to have a few curve balls thrown at them.

I can't imagine anything more exhilarating that being able to fly. Gliding easily through the air and seeing the beautiful land God has created me. Unhindered by traffic, roads, speed limits, and fuel, flight would allow a truly free feeling that would never be able to be topped. The above quote likens love to wings. I would never trade my wings just so I could feel lighter and move around on the ground easier. The benefit of having them would far outweigh any hardship they might lay on me. They are priceless.

Love, to me, is also priceless. No matter the struggle, the hardship, the difficulty it may one day present, there is no way this man would trade love for a lighter load. For although the load may be lighter, the greatest earthly joy will have been lost.

Never loose your joy for a lighter load.

No comments: